Monday, October 13, 2008

New School Year

I voted yesterday and it felt great! While I don't know the extent of everything that is happening at home, it felt good to feel like I was helping to make something positive happen. 

However, the real subject of this post is about school. Officially, school started here yesterday (the twelveth) I am obviously not at my village, but given the experiences of everyone else, I would bet good money that the schools in my village have not yet started. This is typicial and no one ever expects them to start on time, its when teachers and students just start showing up that school actually begins. Nonetheless, I am heading back to my village today to hopefully begin the second half of my job, which is working with teachers to integrate environmental lessons and run an environmental club. Its a scary and like starting over because I have not been able to make any contacts with the school director or teachers because they have not been around, it is entirely possible that they are still not there. Lets hope that they are and I can launch the other half of my work here.

As a side note, I should be back online the 28th and I have been having phone problems this past week but that should be fixed today. 

2 comments:

ChloeDancer said...

I understand school "starting" on a certain date now - from your former post - sorry - didn't read this before posting that...

Something to consider, my dear - don't look at each new establishment of relationship w/ a community member as "starting over" ... it's continuing the process of movement forward... it's one more person you will have made positive contact w/.... from what you say about Mauritanians, their productivity ideals have different time frames from Americans... I don't want to see you get discouraged b/c things aren't happening as quickly as you want them to... while maybe you don't think an interaction was productive by american style... that Mauritanian may have felt it was extremely productive... remember: change happens at the speed in which the person undergoing change wants ... not the person encouraging change.. *hug*... It's something I learned quickly when conducting counseling w/ people and remembering that helped keep my frustration levels down when they didn't move forward/progress as quickly as I hoped.... A concept I know you already know first and foremost.. but maybe it helps to consciously remember during times you are frustrated.... *hug*

ChloeDancer said...

btw, CONGRATS on voting!!!!!!!!! Polls are saying that Obama's ahead and taking over the battleground states....

We'll see what happens.......

Also, as I wrote you the last bit about having patience in the process of change, I apply it to my own stuff.... i'm back on the training route of the Disney 1/2 marathon to commence the 2nd weekend of January. I am at 5 miles, but every time I strike out for a run, I feel like "ugh... how will I ever get to 13 when I'm not even at 6?" - but as I wrote you, I need to remember, myself.... reward comes in the small goals that lead up to the larger ones... Guess it's a good thing for us both to remember... Your lessons over there that you are learning and re-learning.. the words of advice that we all give to you also serve as re-learned lessons to us as well.... *smile* ... so, thank you for that, bro...... your experiences reach us in more ways than you can imagine... *hug*