Saturday, December 20, 2008

Tree Nursery Update

Bad news: So I am realizing that part of my failure to sell this idea is that people do seem understand that the point is to sell the trees. The capitalist mentality does not exist here as it does in the states. It could be one of the reasons that economic development is slow. It could also be one of the reasons that the culture is better in some ways. I realized that I was not getting through when Woni, the president of a women’s cooperative and one of the two people who have started tree nurseries, said that she started the nursery just because she knew that I wanted her to. It was a really nice thing to do and say, but it was pretty disheartening because made me realize that the probable reason why other people had not started nurseries is because they did not understand that there was something worthwhile in it for them. With everyone always asking me for things, I was happy to finally have something to be able to give, but I guess people did not understand.

Good news: There are now THREE people who have tree nurseries and the presentation on how to make and profit from them has been given to 25 people who work in cooperatives. Woni, who is awesome, now wants to sell the trees in the market and not only has 200 planted but is experimenting with different species and has asked for yet more tree nursery bags.

4 comments:

Becca Swank said...

These latest postings are so similar to my experiences that they have got me wondering if the basic principal behind the Peace Corps or VISTA (however well intentioned), is somehow fundamentally flawed. Like it is based on a missionary model somehow. I was placed by someone with an agenda that did not quite match the agendas of anyone I actually work with. And I did not have a clear idea of what MY agenda was. (I still don't). So I kinda feel like a tool. And finding my place in the community has been rather difficult.

Zach Swank said...

For me, that's exactly the opportunity and excitement of the job, I literally am creating my job and the need for it. Definitely challenging, especially in different languages, but it is thrilling at rewarding at the same time. You just have to measure your successes on a different scale.

Becca Swank said...

that's a good perspective.

Linda in the Northeast Kingdom said...

Becca and Zach.

Remember that just by being there and radiating your lovely energy, you are making a difference.

In this country we are so busy "doing" that we forget "being".

I am finally taking some time to focus on being. And then when someone asks me what I am doing - and I fall back into that role...and have to consciously shift gears to get back into being.

I love that you are both willing to face the challenges of your jobs. Becca, when you feel like a tool - make it one you can use to find commonality and being a bridge - rather than being someone else's tool.

Blessings,
Linda