Today an American aid worker was killed in Nouakchott, the capital. At this point I don’t know any more details than what is in this story: http://www.reuters.com/article/homepageCrisis/idUSLN880180._CH_.2400
but I do know that I am still safe here. I am more safe in my village than I am in Buffalo or driving through the Adirondacks. Keep in mind that people are killed in the states every day for all sorts of reasons. Also, although the Peace Corps sucks at sharing information with us they have direct access to the embassy and can get (not give) the best intelligence the government has. If there is any real threat to my security, they will take the appropriate measures. For the moment, no one is going into the capital.
Its funny how hearing that some one from your country doing your type of work was killed in the country you are currently in affects you in ways that other news of peoples demise does not. For example, when I was just in Mali and we received the news that an British man was beheaded in Timbuktu, that did not phase me, but this hits home. Our lives are not always as hunky dory as we personally like to believe they are.
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Wow...
You have a lot of things going on, Zach. You sound like you have good perspective on the uncertainty and how to handle that... which is a good thing....
I can understand how the American killed would hit home... it's a natural response and relates to the level of relativity.... you just hang in there (which seems rather understated I realize)
I think that you did a wonderful job of reassuring the rents here about your level of safety and the roles the PC is taking and has in terms of assuring your immediate safety... kudos.
You have such large roles in many ways, Zach... you not only have to keep up w/ your stuff there on so many levels of which we have an idea thanks to your great insights for us (but really can't comprehend on the level of realism b/c we're not there)... but then you also do SUCH a great job in communicating w/ us on safety concerns and all that other stuff.
My point being : You are doing a REALLY great job at keeping such a fine balance b/t your world and how your world relates/impacts ours... You have so much to process and handle.. and you're doing it all w/ mature grace.
I definitely didn't expect less, but I did want to make the point that I notice and I'm proud of you.
btw......... what the heck on the text msgs.????? Thinking of yourself instead of your poor family & friends back home?????? ....... *GRINNING*
JUST JOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Heck, eat bagged frozen yogurt til you get sick!!!!!! (oh, scratch that last part.. that can't be pleasant in the bathroom)...
That's really cool that they have that treat over there!!!! Do you need to eat them w/ straws b/c they melt so fast????????
Zach, I have been reading your blog for over a month because my son was supposed to be in the next PCV group to come to Mauritania. However he was told this week that he would be reassigned. He learned today that he will go to Togo.
I am glad you are safe. I am glad that you can choose to eat yogurt or text. I am glad that you can keep in touch with you parents.
I am sorry that my son won't be able to meet the Zach that made me think.... he (my son) can do this. Take care and keep writing...blogging.
A Mom
Thanks to you both for the encouraging comments. They really mean a lot, as you know, my means of communication are somewhat screwy and its nice to know that they are working none the less.
Best of luck to your son! It seems like he has luck on his side already though because I think Togo is probably easier to adapt to than Mauritania, although, no Peace Corps service is easy and you adapt to the level that is required. After all, some people find it hard to live in America...
Post a Comment