Thursday, September 17, 2009

New and improved village

A while ago I mentioned that if anyone was looking for a vacation, or just had no work, they should come and spend some time in Mauritania. I can't say that I am surprised that no one took me up on that. It was not exactly a tourist destination; the town where we had our training was described by Lonely Planet as "a sleazy border town with a sinister feel" and the book recommended generally avoiding the whole country. I don't agree with any of that but I do have to admit it wasn't the hottest tourist destination. Senegal, however, is. So you should all come to visit especially since my work is about bringing more tourists. When you think about it, you coming to vacation in Senegal is going to help me with my development work, so do a good deed and come bum around Senegal. Seriously.

For more information check out the tourism section on www.pcsenegal.org
and http://www.lonelyplanet.com/senegal

Additionally, I just got back from visiting my site. Someone asked me to describe what it was like in a word: Perfect. Somewhere in between swimming at the base of 400 foot waterfalls, walking around the small paths between the corn rows in my village, planning hiking trips around the mountains, seeing my new excessively large hut, talking with my work partners who have already starting doing the work I am going to help them with, chasing around my host mother's monkey, shooting the shit with the elders, strolling through the forest, and hearing chimpanzees I compared what my new site is like and what my site in Mauritania was like and I nearly cried. I cannot complain about anything as long as I am here. I don't have photos yet, but the photos section on the region's website: www.pckedougou.org

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a tempting notion.

Unknown said...

(I'd love some more details when you get a chance... like, it would be beyond cool to go visit you and to see Senegal.. but it is quite a distance. I really don't have anything "planned" for the foreseeable future.. but a trip to Africa was not something that had been floating around as an option. ha. I guess I'm just letting you know that there's a tiiiny lil chance that I'd consider trying to get over there.. because it sounds awesome.) anyway, hope to see some pics soon at least. hope all is well.

peace

Ted