Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Blam! Restaurant!

We're back in construction mode and I can't believe how fast things are happening compared to the slow months of the rainy season. My counterparts and the masons we hired say all the construction will be finished by the end of April. Unlike most of the predictions about timelines in West Africa, they just might be right this time.

The roof rafters are made from palm wood from the fan palm trees like the one in the left of the picture. The horizontal supports are bamboo. When we were putting of the roof we spent a lot of time just chilling there because it was such a pleasant place to be.



A line level is something I introduced to my counterparts and the masons. (A line level is a small bubble level that attaches to a string which allows one to level two points which a relatively far apart.) They exist here in Senegal, but very few people know of about them. Fortunately, we hired different masons this year and they are familiar with levels. When they started working and I saw that they brought their own levels I thanked them. They said, "Yeah, of course, how else would we know if something was level if we didn't have them." I argued for a week with last years masons over that very statement.

Setting the posts for the roof of the restaurant.

Thatching.


The view from the corner of the restaurant overlooking the ecolodge and the valley that leads to the waterfall.

Some of the 1,500 mud bricks we had made this year.

Samalé and I getting our exercise in!

Putting up the half-hut at one end of the restaurant that will serve as the reception, room for the solar power equipment and fridge, and sleeping quarters for the guard.


It's now Tuesday the 15th of May. When I come back into Kedougou in a week I'll have photos to show of the FINISHED restaurant!

3 comments:

create imperatives said...

Zach,
How wonderful to see the team at work. Nothing a Swank likes better than a project....you sound happy.
Not an easy state sometimes. Take some breaths. Congratulations.

Dad

Mom (Ma) said...

Wow! Just the way you described it, it is now real for the village as well!

Cara said...

Incredible stuff! You have so much to be proud of!