Hello from Burkina Faso
Day 6 of traveling finds us in the capital of Burkina Faso. It seems that the farther away from Mauritania the better our lives get. I just had strawberries for the first time since leaving the States. I would love to give a full update on our travels but of course do not have a lot of time on the internet. I will have to settle for the highlights:
- Seeing the regional capitals and other volunteers of Mauritania on our way through
- Finding volunteers along the way in other countries
- Getting a "direct" bus that included two vehicle changes and one expected overnight
- Buying beer from a brothel
- Delicious street food (all you can eat for $0.50)
- Watching the world get greener as we go south
- Passing through a village at the time that Obama was being inagurated and seeing a parade that included 20 ft tall puppets
I will give more of an update and put up pictures when I can. Today we are going to try to make it into Ghana after we take care of some visa issues, hoping to be in Accra for the conference in a couple of days.
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Zach,
Good to hear you are well, though son and brothel are not words I usually think of in the same sentence. For instance, when people ask what you do, I never say, "Oh my son Zach, he is a brothelologist, how awesome is that!"
The new president is working out fine. Have a good trip....sing some happy notes.
love,
Dad
So great that you had that parallel inaugural experience. It was an amazing day! Proud again to be an American! He has accomplished much in his first day and one half. Whew! And his children have been on a scavenger hunt of the White House. (The house built by slaves! If only they had known!!)
Hey you, sounds like you're having an awesome time. I'm especially jealous of the 20 foot puppet parade! Inauguration Day in Ain was pretty uneventful, but I had a mental party in celebration. :)
Also, as a brothelologist, you might be interested to know that some people actually get to stay in one for WAIST. Sans prostitues, but still. Ooh, West Africa.
K, that's it, just wanted to say hi. I'll be keeping my eye out for monkey pics. Have so much fun, and I'll see you in a couple of weeks!
Fozzie,
Cheers to Strawberries!!!!!!! ... *grin*... Better as you get farther away from Mauritania is prolly not a mantra to repeat.. *grin*...
AWESOME about the 20 ft. puppets!! I have an inauguration newspaper coverage showing celebrations of it in Kenya... you'll get it next month by the time mail finds you.. *smile*..
Brothel and brother... maybe not an image the rents would see in one sentence, but after Hooters, I definitely laughed when I saw you bought a beer from there!!! And hey - the parents should be happy that of all the things you could get at the brothel.. all you bought was beer!!!!!!! ... *laugh*
It truly is amazing what Obama's been doing since being in office all of less than one week (part of which includes signing off on closing Guatanamo)... WHAT a country.... I can't wait to see what other forward movements he makes...
Love you!!
Wooo! Brothel beer is the best beer...so I've heard...
Swank, I'm glad that you are enjoying your travels. It sounds like you are absorbing a lot of the culture. I'm also kinda jealous because you are traveling through all these places, but I hope someday i will be able to do it as well. Keep in touch and have fun.
Zach,
Matthew Gates is a friend of ours who is in the PeaceCorps in Senegal, for his third year. We learned from his parents recently that he will be at the WA Softball Tournament, so it'd be great if you could meet each other. We hear that you who work in Mauritania are highly respected by all other Peace Corps people, due to the relative conditions.
Thinking of you,
Randy and Pam and Tyler Kochel
Zach, Greg Mortenson is alive and well, with a heavy speaking engagement schdule. Great web site. Goggle him and Central Asian Institute. Thanks for the info today. I am getting really psyched!
Love Mom
Post a Comment