Monday, August 10, 2009

Done

PC Mauritania is indefinitely suspended.

Fortunately the Mauritanian staff will keep their jobs until the program reopens, but no one is holding their breath for that to happen. The country has taken a serious dive in the direction it is heading and it will be a long recovery process when it turns around.

In the next four days we will be pumped through sessions on our options, medical evaluations, final reports, and lots of other procedures and then some of us will be returning home on Friday. Personally, I intend on coming home, but not that soon and then returning to somewhere to finish out my second year, probably West Africa because less than 1% of Americans speak French and they really need volunteers who do. I am in no way ready to be done with the Peace Corps and I am even less ready to say goodbye to my host family. How do you tell some one whose life was saved by a PCV when he was a child, said that Allah put love for the Peace Corps in his heart, and has since devoted his life to voluntarily and doggedly supporting any PCV he meets that not only are you abruptly leaving he might never see a PCV again? Needless to say, despite the fact that we all saw this coming, we are quite shaken up. You have to understand that this is not just our job that was canceled, but our lives as we know them.

As I figure out what happens next, I will let you know. Right now the only things I am sure of is that I am going to sleep, will eat breakfast tomorrow, and then start dealing with a whole new reality.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Zach,
No words will give you what you need right now. In fact, what an amazing set of mixed emotions I'm feeling. I feel sad for you and your new friends you have made there in Mauritania. In fact Z-man, in many ways, I feel more for them then I do you. While this has been your life a year, this IS their life. The PSV provided hope and comfort and they will miss that deeply. They will miss YOU deeply. So here you sit with closure and pain and yet trying to look ahead as well. So please know as your friends (and family) we too feel your pain, mixed emotions, sadness and yet look towards the future as well for we are far from done taking this journey with you. So you and all of your friends remain in our prayers. Somehow, this comes to mind...
ROAD LESS TRAVELED

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth

Then took the other as just as fair
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear
Though as for that, the passing there
Had worn them really about the same

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet, knowing how way leads onto way
I doubted if I should ever come back

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference


Robert Frost

While its not perfect (in fact far from it), we do stand WITH you staring at two roads. We had traveled with on this road and we all thought we would continue on THIS road, yet a new road is before you (and us) and new adventure. A painful wait to sit and stare, and yet I know that the new road will be a new blessing. Thank you for being willing to travel this new road. Thank you for letting us take this journey WITH you!

In Hoc,
Tom

Unknown said...

PC pulled out of RIM in 68 and didn't go back until 77. They pulled out for about a year between 90 and 91 but then went back. PC will return. Tough way to go if you are currently serving... Best of luck, Zach!
Eric (PC/RIM 97-99)

Mom (Ma) said...

Zach i know that as I write this that things are changing it is hard to be patient and let the things unfold that need to. That has always been a hard lesson for me. I totally trust your ability to sort and make decisions. I will back you and continue to love you to bits.mom