First of all, thanks again to everyone for all your support through the last few weeks and especially to my family for your loving concern. After having to chose from a lot of options in a few days, a process that was greatly facilitated by PC Washington staff, I settled on finishing my service as a Small Enterprise Development volunteer doing eco tourism work in southern Senegal. All things being what they are, I am pretty excited about this opportunity since it will allow me to do more of my favorite type of work. My new site will also be pretty sweet. It is near three large waterfalls and chimpanzees frequent the area. Perhaps I will get the chance to live in what we all think of as "Africa" after all. I will be going through training again but first I am taking the opportunity to go to the village on the Senegalese side of the river from my site where I will be able to invite my friends and family over to say goodbye. All and all I am happy to be finishing my service in Senegal and look forward to the new adventure. Senegal is definitely a nicer place to be in but I have a feeling my heart will always be in Mauritania; hardship accompanied by wonderful people has profound affect. I hope to have the opportunity to return there as a volunteer and especially to help train a new class of volunteers.
For now, I am living in the moment and relishing this new adventure as much as I can.
Saturday, August 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Zach,
Righto....and we got a cup of tea.
love,
Dad
best wishes, zach. i think we all have great things in our futures =) and you know where you have a place to stay in rwanda!!
julie ann
Gota love those doors - you never know what is behind them!!!
Glad you "landed on your feet" in a good and interesting assignment.
Love and the biggest hugs,
Linda and Roger
I agree with Linda. I understand how rough that is when you really don't want that first door to close. Sometimes the best paths are not the ones we choose. LOLove Mom
I am happy for you, Zach...... Mom is right - sometimes the best paths are not ones we would have chosen... Not always easy to believe when you're going through the moment though.......
Keeping pushing forward...and we're pushing you forward during the times you cannot... *hug*... That is one of the great things about our family... we are unconditional in our love & support.
I think this is good news. Selfishly, I imagine you will be safer, but there might be more opportunity for a wider range of service. All the best. We're thinking of you.
What they said.
Also, I put your skim board up on my blog. Thanks for letting me and thanks for the extra details. I chose not to link to your blog for purposes of your privacy, but if you want I can add it. Anyway it is there now so check it out.
Post a Comment