Saturday, January 23, 2010

Journal of a PCV Parent- A word about Volunteers




Journal Cont.
Peace Corps Volunteers
I want to write about PCVs through a mother’s eye, but also pay tribute to aide workers of all kinds and professions. The world is keenly aware of what they do, the differences they make and the sacrifices endured, sometimes at too dear a price. In the past two weeks this has been highlighted in Haiti. One of the first thoughts I had when I began to realize what was happening there was “Are there PCVs there and what are their parents going through?” There are currently no PCVs in Haiti, so my heart stopped aching for a millisecond and then I began to think of all the other families of UN, World Vision, NGOs and many other aide workers, volunteers and professionals working without borders and the Hattions themselves. For the 5 weeks I was in West Africa, I witnessed an amazing resilience in the people I met, coping in a world with so much less than I had ever experienced. The volunteers there were so respectful of the West African way of life wanting only to help them enrich it in ways that were meaningful and sustainable. In order to have this insight the volunteers first respected the culture and took the time to learn it, live it and integrate it into their lives. They did not become West Africans; they embraced and loved West Africans and their culture. You already know Zach through this blog. Let me introduce you to three others.
Nick: A sometimes dark, but kind and funny humor- able to joke about things that would drive you nuts if you always had to take them seriously. He is kind with a big heart.
Lauren: So soft spoken. She is a quiet observer; gentle and kind to all she meets. When you talk to Lauren she really listens. She is very sensitive and I sense that is sometimes at a cost to her. She is an old soul and therefore, so wise.
Marissa: A wonderful spirit, a sprite! Her laugh is infectious and healing. She has so much to give and such a great way of seeing the fun in it all.
We met many other young men and women who seemed to be coping, thriving, learning and sharing. On top of all that they were doing, they made time for Dave and I and welcomed us into their lives as though we were family. You guys (PCVs) are awesome! Thanks for your welcome and assistance as we traveled through your territory



2 comments:

Becca Swank said...

I just got all caught up on the blog. Thanks for sharing with us mom. This trip will have changed you in ways you don't yet understand. Now you really get it when I came back from Mongolia and said "everyone must do this..."?

Mom (Ma) said...

You were so right! One really has to move outside of your comfort zone to truly understand how comfortable one is! It sure has cut down on my wining! The best result was experiencing a different culture. People can live way differently from us (Americans) and still be happy. Sometimes happier because their lives are not as cluttered as we allow ours to be!