Sunday, April 11, 2010

Kedougou Regional House

Since I have been really bad about writing blogs lately, I thought I would post some pictures instead. Briefly work is going well, but I am waiting to post on my activities until they are a little more complete. Anyway, now to the interesting pictures.

One of my first posts in Mauritania was about how there really was no feeling of being "inside the home" and almost all of the days activities took place outside. I stand by that observation and perhaps these photos will help you to understand. What is pictured below is the Peace Corps regional house for the volunteers in Kedougou. This is where we stay when we need to use the internet, get to a bank, buy supplies, or unwind. While some of the regional houses in Senegal resemble and American dwelling, the one in Kedougou really follows the Senegalese lifestyle, although it is Americanized quite a bit.


This is what we call the porch and where we spend most of our time.


The building that says Welcome to Kedougou is for storage and the building with the thatched roof is where we sleep.


As you can see, almost all of the buildings are open on the sides. Actually the only buildings with doors that close are the storage rooms and the bathrooms.








Our kitchen.







And that's what we call home when we are not in our villages.

1 comment:

Mom (Ma) said...

I spent three whole days there and did not clean it up. A record for this obsessive compulsive!