Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Coup D'Etat

Yup, that happened. The military took the president into custody. When I heard that, I thought, oh that's interesting, and then went to shave. (It was not totally unexpected). All the same, I AM IN A COUNTRY THAT JUST HAD A COUP AND IS NOW RULED BY THE MILITARY. Pretty exciting stuff. I honestly a little disappointed that I haven't received any frantic phone calls. If I had, I would have said that everything is ok. Travel is restricted/not really possible, but not much else has changed. No one really knows what will happen now, especially since this just happened 3 years ago and was carried out by pretty much the same people. All the same, no one anticipates any security threats for PCVs. Thus, life goes on, just under military rule now. (again) haha.

This brings to mind some other things that are normal for me but are pretty interesting out of context:
- Watching the chief of my village play with a flashlight as a novel thing
- The fact that there are refugees being resettled in my village
- The fact that everyone in my village was at one point a refugee
- More to come

I thought I would have more time to post info but today was pretty packed and now I'm headed back my village. I won't be back online till the 22nd when I will be here for my final week before swear in. Sorry I couldn't provide more info.

Also I think some one just tried to call me. Try again if you did.

5 comments:

Becca Swank said...

I love you and I am glad you are safe.

create imperatives said...

Zach,
Peace be with you. Glad to hear you are well...and cared for...we all feel warm in that.....and know you will find comfort and tenderness.... as well as the challenges.

Our love abides,

Dad

Rodolfo said...

zach,
that kinda sounds scary. i hope you stay safe. in the other hand...the olympics start today, i usually watch bits and pieces of it. I'll keep you posted on how many medals you guys get (US), but im telling you that you will have a tough competition against el salvador this year with respect to the number of medals.... mmmm jk. I dont think we ever have gotten one :(

ChloeDancer said...

well, the good news in that no one called you as soon as you wanted is that Mom has begun to relax.. *grin*

I am SO glad you're safe.. you are in a land of moving and shaking... exactly what u wanted! Much love to you bro..........

Dobre' said...

Zach,

Just because you didn't hear from anyone right away don't think you weren't all the buzz. Stay safe. Enjoy your adventure.

Doug B.