Well, we are into our final week of training! I am a little nervous about being out there on my own in my village, but mostly I am excited to finally begin doing what I have wanted to do for years. We have more info sessions today and tomorrow, then swear in on thursday, friday to recover, and then we leave saturday for our sites.
Leaving my training site was a little hard. There were about 15 people crying total. Tough to leave my host family and tough to leave the village as everyone was literally in my family. I will definitely be going back to visit whenever I am in the area.
Its a little weird right now because we are all just sort of waiting to be sworn in. Even though we still have info sessions all of the work of staging is over. For the first time in a few months I don't have any work I need to be doing. The break is definitely enjoyable, but a little weird. Its a good intro to Ramadan which will start at the end of this week; no one will be much this next month but fast. It will be interesting to see how much work I will be able to accomplish...
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Nice to hear from you again. We are well...travel back to NJ on Thursday.
Will send email with details. Will you have net access in Bababe?
Michele Obama gave a great speech at the Dem convention in Denver last night. China wins most medals at Olympics. Russia invades Georgia...now controls two parts of Georgia....now a cease fire in effect.
Love,
Dad
Good to hear from you. Played three holes of golf today three times (9holes) at the training center. Two words: poison ivy!
So the adventure really begins now, and it involves doing nothing? Relish this moment! How exciting and satisfying you have an entire village of 'family' for support. We spent much time watching incredible athletes at the Olympics, now watching and listening to some incredible speeches at the Dem convention.
love
Daryl
15 people in the village cried when you left... bittersweet... but at the same time, sweet!! You know you are making impact and spending 2 yrs. in a small village that you will make your own.. can you imagine the impact and the emotions that will follow your departure?? 15 people... is that the whole village??
Are you expected to observe Ramadan? How's the Pulaar coming along? I've started saying a prayer for the animals in Mauritania... Sounds stupid I know, but wow... animals do have souls, I think.
On the news front, Michael Phelps broke the world record of most gold medals won... Mark Spitz's 7-time gold record holder - Phelps 8.
Local news: Savannah just approved a recycling program for the city. I will send you article clippings about it... very cool tho :)
Love you lots, bro!!
Love, the girl who eats gummy bears (and yes, I think wolves eat gummy bears if they could)
Zach, I am so touched by the response of the people in your village. It also means that despite the language and cultural barrier, you have managed to express yourself and be accepted and loved. When I come visit you I would like to meet this family whao came to love you!
CONGRATULATIONS on being sworn in!!!!!!!! Go rock your village as I know you can!!
Love you, Cara
hola amigo
its nice to hear from you again, i needed my swank fix during work. it sounds exciting; its kinda sounds like initiation, you get sworn in and then go out and try to make the world a better place. have fun and be careful.
Hey person,
I was sworn in yesterday. Have another week of training then will start at my site. Looks like we will be doing it together.
DNC speeches:
Hillary
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/politics/ny-usclin0827-speech,0,5104092.story
Michelle
http://www.hiphopmusic.com/2008/08/michelle_obama_dnc_convention.html
Barak
http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/president/conventions/videos/20080828_OBAMA_SPEECH.html
and McCain picks Palin
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nation/politics/bal-te.mccain30aug30,0,1753690.story
Post a Comment