I love biogas; turning wastes into useful products and thereby reducing the need for the use of other fuel. It’s a perfect solution as far as the environment goes. The problem is that it’s not always viable. For example, until I came here I had never seen a working system that was used for home cooking. However, an NGO has funded the construction of a few systems in the town next to mine as an experimental project. The systems are not perfect, but they are functional. Basically there are two large barrels full of cow manure and water that are connected to an inner tube, which serves as a reservoir, which is in turn connected to the burner. It produces enough gas to cook the 9+ daily rounds of tea, but not enough to cook all of the meals. There are pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/z.swank/Biogas#
A biogas system like this would not be viable in the
The trouble with the system is that it doesn’t produce enough gas and it is a bit expensive. The whole set up costs 20,000 UM ($100). With the price and low level of production, it would take a year to recover the investment of the system. That’s too long for Mauritanian time frames. So I have a question for anyone who knows biogas, what could be done to increase the amount of gas that is being produced? Anything that would reduce the price would be good too, but that’s a harder question to answer when you don’t know the costs of things. I can send more specific information and descriptions if anyone is interested.
I would love to make this a project, and I think there is a way, but I need your help to make it better. Think if it as an opportunity to engage in international development work!
1 comment:
The methane is corrosive from land fills. What keeps the inner tube from disintegrating? Dave has a friend in Jamestown who is working on this at the landfill and Roger is very into this. I will try and get some info from Dave's friend. (Dave was able to look at the pics and explain it to me) This has great implications for the camper! :)
Post a Comment