I finally had my first Eco Club and I think it went reasonably well. The participants were 4th, 5th, and 6th graders, 24 in all with equal representation from each class and each gender. This one was at Ecole 2 and the director helped me teach it, while I taught the lesson in englishized French the Director translated into Africanized French and Pulaar. Had he not been there the students would not have understood much. The point of the lesson was to demonstrate just how little of the earth is fit to support human life. (Roughly 3/4ths is covered in water, less than 15% is not to hot/cold/mountains/etc, just about 3% produces most of our food, and 0.03% of the water is potable.) In theory it was a great lesson, but I failed to anticipate that none of the students would not know what “the planet Earth” was. I should have thought about this because I know some adults who think that the
Saturday, March 7, 2009
My first environmental club
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Zach,
Sounds like a typical start of most learning curves.....and we learn from each other every time we put ourselves on the line ...committing to any endeavor....
the students will help you learn what you need to know.
Get better ideas, implement what you can, have fun.
love,
Dad
Awesome debut!! To put it in perspective too - most of what you are doing over there is probably something many people over here have no inkling about . We are learning right along w/ you -
Embrace the idea of partnership. Don't forget - a city wasn't built in a day.. and certainly not by a solo individual. All great things happen through partnerships.....
Love ya!! Hugs from Savannah .. YumYum's basking in a pool of sunlight on the rug... and of any interest to you - I have officially learned that she is a Maine Coon cat... *smile*
Post a Comment