Thursday, March 5, 2009

What is Zach up to?

Another reason that I conspicuously contented right now is that my work has been enjoyable. I cannot say that it is going well, because I know by now to wait for it to be finished before making such a bold claim, but I will say that all possibilities seem open. Here are some things that will keep me overly busy:

-         Environmental clubs, one for each school with 20 students doing interactive science lessons and gardening will be starting in a week

-         Financing school gardens, Peace Corps does not give us a budget; instead they set up a system for us to ask our family and friends for help. I’ll tell you more about that when the time comes.

-         Financing and painting world maps, some Mauritanians think America is the country south of Senegal, although I bet some Americans think Mauritania is on Mars. At any rate, I am going to use the block painting technique to paint accurate maps of the world and Mauritania onto the walls in my schools.

-         Selling trees, my tree nursery project has succeeded so far, but if I do not sell the trees it will all be for nothing. I just need to find a woman in the market to sell them for my friends who grew them, inshallah.

-         Tree planting, separate of my other project I want to start a massive tree planting campaign around town. I was initially against this idea when I came to site because I was sure that it was bound for failure, but I think if it is supervised by the neighborhood chiefs and is the right price I think it could work. I also want to use it as an incentive to get more people to have experience with tree nurseries.

-         Fiddling with biogas, I will probably tinker with this until I leave and even after then I will still be thinking about it.

-         Trying to grow a copy of the Eden that is Cubalil, a small town/mango forest 9km from here. I could swear the place is in Burkina Faso not Mauritania.

-         English lessons, I am still promising people I will start doing them and still have not started.

-         Building one of these: http://www.dirtsurfer.com/en/products_int.asp?cat=1&subcat=3&id=1

-         Building a pool table

-         Continuing to learn guitar

-         Finding more things to put in a freezer and eat.

To name a few things.

4 comments:

Mom (Ma) said...

So good to hear from you again! Sounds like some good perspective adjustments. Will call soon. Ready to finalize our Nov flight. Actually late Oct to mid Nov.
Love Mom
PS Finally playing in Florida. Have discovered the Charolette Harbor Environmental Center with many guided walks! Gave up golf, playing shuffel board. (Bet you never thought you would get that message from us. Seriously a highly competitive game!

Zach Swank said...

Mother, playing shuffleboard in Florida? you are officially OLD!

ChloeDancer said...

When they start riding around in golf carts to go a block or less in addition to playing shuffle board... THEN they are old!! But I think mom can still throw back some margaritas, so there's still hope!!

Becca Swank said...

In Mauritania do full grown trees need to be watered in the dry season? Just curious.