Journal Entry from the 15th of May
“For all of the time and events I have experienced, both good and bad, it is this moment that finds me writing here again. I have gone through and reflected on much, but not in these pages. Currently I find myself searching for an inner calm that transcends balance and rests firmly in the domain of peace. To keep one’s life in balance is a struggle, but to live in harmony is to resonate with that which already exists.
“Last night I found myself deeply in need of a friend, someone that I could really “play” with. As I was walking home from my friend Macina’s house after watching the Last Samurai, feeling lonely, and avoiding talking with the people in the road, Abba’s dog found me and started to play with me. While I was initially resistant, he was insistent, bobbing and weaving trying to get me to chase him. It was exactly what I needed at the time; the magical moment lasted through him accompanying me all the way home and then him not returning home until I returned the courtesy.
“As long as I keep pushing along the ridge line alone, I lose the opportunity for others to support me when I falter. Yet if I descend and take the valley path instead, I do not loose so much in purpose and vision as I gain in fleetness of heart and foot from traveling with companions.
“(This was written while covering the journal with sheets of paper because even though it is midnight, I am still dripping sweat at a constant beat.)”
Update: Abba’s dog now follows me around town everywhere. If I am walking across town, I will stop by Abba’s house and “pick him up” and then we’ll walk together. I also have started calling him “Sehil” the Pulaar word for friend. People around town are starting to know him as “Zach’s friend” and think that it is funny that I pet him because the closest relationship I have ever seen between a Mauritanian and a dog is one where the dog did not get beaten and that was it.
Saturday, May 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Zach,
With the utmost delight
I read what you write
so well is it written
I must be admittin
the stories we read to you as a kid
our love in sharing the reading we did
you now express with inside and joy
the man you are who once was a boy.
love,
Dad
Zach
this is absolutely beautiful writing! your insights and descriptions of your current life are so very heartfelt and touching and fun is good, too!
love
Daryl
Hey,
I was really touched and proud (even tho I had nothing to do w/ your quality of writing) to read your writings here. Your thoughts are poetic, but succinct. They have purpose and healthy intent.
If nothing else, you are learning to redefine who you want to be... and that is no small feat... *hug*.. and to do it when you are completely out of your element .. *hug*
Sometimes we need change to make change... You are doing all w/ such grace & elegance. I am proud of you. Love you
Post a Comment