Saturday, June 7, 2008

10 days left

It is now exactly 10 days until I leave for Atlanta for my staging and 13 days until I leave the U.S. for the Republic Islamique de Mauritanie. Crazy. Just like throughout this whole process, I am half excited and have scared. My bags are mostly packed but I really need to spend some more time working on my french, and by more time I mean some time. I really thought that a month was going to be plenty of time to prepare but I was definitely wrong. I've had a lot of help pulling everything together and taking care of stuff that I am going to leave here, but I feel like I have had no time to do all the reading and french practicing I had intended on.

I have been saying goodbye to people for over a month now and mostly it has not been emotional for me. I'm starting to realize that I might have been storing up all of those emotions for the my final goodbyes. I'm not sure how I feel about this because while it was awkward to not be visibly sad when I was saying goodbye to people who were crying, I am in no way prepared for all of that to hit me at once when I really leave.

On a more practical note, I have my address of where I will be for the first 10 weeks but not after that. Once I find the sheet of paper with it on it I'll post it. Also, like many things I do not know what to expect in terms of my access to the internet but I expect I should be able to get on it at least periodically throughout the first 10 weeks.

I am realizing that as much as I feel that I am not ready, I kind of just want to go now. Its like being done studying for a test. I may not be as prepared as I would have liked to be but theres not much I can do about it now and I'm just going to have to wait until it all starts.

But that's enough for now, I need to go wash my car so I can try to sell it. If anybody wants a 1999 Honda CRV, just make an offer ;)

1 comment:

ChloeDancer said...

I think you already know how INCREDIBLY proud of you I am!! I feel like I can't ever tell you enough, so here I go again.....

I think that your trip there will be incredible and for someone who is already so full of awareness and willingness to grow - you will pass on your passion and knowledge to everyone you meet... and you will be filled with their passion and love for their culture, which will become yours as well.

I am quite sure the experience will never be able to be fully re-lived to us in the way that you have experienced it... but I can't wait to hear your stories and to see how you've changed and grown.

While the start of your journey is yet to start, and the end is 2 yrs. away, do not lose sight of the fact that people here are constantly suppporting you and thinking about you while you're gone.. that we stand strong while you're away and we look forward to hearing from you when you are able to write/call.... Enjoy your journey, my dearest Fozzie... Enjoy your tea, enjoy your Swank dinner convos w/ them... *grin*... enjoy your moments of tearful moments as they are also needed... Let others hear your laughter and see your wonderful smile and your great personality... you are so wonderful to take on this adventure.... they are incredibly lucky to have your empathy and dedication... I sense a wonderful journey upon you...

and always remember - I am SO proud of you... who you are and who you constantly become.. I love you and I will see you on Tuesday!! Love, your girl who howls at the moon