Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Male / Female Relations

So I am sure that I will comment more on this later, but as I just saw a perfect example of it so its current now. So as you may know, Mauritania is an Islamic country and that makes for some interesting male / female dynamics. Most notorious is the subservant role women typically play and the mulafas that they wear (the giant pieces of cloth that cover their bodies and faces). However a lesser known characteristic in of interpersonal relations in Mauritania is the relationships amongst men, particularly men hold hands. As I started writing this I saw a two men walk into our compound holding hands and they were soon joined by a third and a fourth who approached from opposite directions, making a total of four men holding each other's hands while they were just talking. Then after a few minutes the two men who approached from opposite directions continued on their way, but continued to hold hands with the other two until they had pulled the group into a line. Then let go when they could no longer hold on. Anytime you go out to the market, you will see something like this. Men will walk through the market holding hands. Basically, because men are not allowed to touch women who they are not married to, their only physical contact is with other men. This becomes particularly interesting when you see men who are clearly gay by western standards (I'm told homosexuality "doesn't exist" here).
Another interesting thing that I have asked about but have not been able to get clear answers on is the process of men going from being single to being married. Safe to not much happens on the first date. ;) I'll get back to you on that when I learn more.

I would love to post pictures but Mauritanians are not keen about having their picture taken. One of the other volunteers said he asked about it and was told that they are worried that their picture will end up in national geographic, which is actually a fairly legitimate concern. I think they also see it as an invasion of their privacy. Once I am settled with my home stay family and then at post and get to know people I expect I will be permitted to take pictures, but until then you will have to imagine your own pictures of Mauritanian people.

On another unrelated yet also related note, it seems that as a general rule most of the girls in my group have chosen to hang onto their boyfriends while most of the guys have chosen to end their relationships before coming here. Its... interesting that it ended up that way.

On a totally unrelated note, I am playing the guitar in a PCV talent show tomorrow (I started learning on monday) and I am getting a Kaftan tailor made because I won the PCV "Price is Right." It should be ready in about a week and I will send pictures if I have internet. Peace.

7 comments:

Juan Hoffmaister said...

now i have the link!! i promise to become a frequent visitor. Good luck and enjoy the experience.
juan pa

ChloeDancer said...

I was not surprised to see that there is great affection among the males for the mere fact of what you stated: fraternizing w/ single females clearly limits social affection to men. Men/women, regardless of religion and/or culture, crave affection.. now whether societies openly embrace that fact is another matter. With that being said, while I am not surprised that homosexuality "does not exist" there - especially since the Qur'an does not support that lifestyle, I would be interested to hear about your observations about how far the affectionate socialization between men goes... While the Qur'an may be very clear in the definition of homosexuality, as we all know, societies and subgroups of society quickly provide their own definitions and expectations on such issues.... and with this being an Islamic country and with the observations you've already made about men holding hands... I will be interested to see if anything is accepted moreso beyond that...

With that being said - I look forward to seeing your Kaftan... do you get to pick your color?? .. *grin*... and what exactly where you pricing in Price is Right? American items or what would seemingly be more appropriate - Mauritanian items?

Finally - is their fear of showing up on Nat'l Geo due to privacy invasion only or is there more to it than that?

Oh - one more ending note... Kirk & I are VERY happy to hear you are washing your hands... or at the very least... your hand... *grin*... and I'm QUITE sure mom is jumping up/down for joy that you have rediscovered good hygienic practices!! ... *grin*

Have fun playing your 4-5 bars of J.Johnson's "Staple It Together" in the talent show!!!!

Finally (for real this time) ... don't sweat the girls in relations v. single boys.. Not to sound pessimistic, but reality is such that 2 years is a long time... and besides, Zach... how can anyone resist you? Especially w/ strawberries!.. *grin* (glad to see Brutus went out in style... I'm sure that was the deal breaker for the proud new owner of the Turtle!... *wink*)

ChloeDancer said...

Btw, Kirk said that the marriages are most likely arranged as he witnessed in Morocco... While all marriages were not, the majority were.. and so perhaps a strong possibility exists as such in Mauritania also... we'll be interested to hear the answer... *hug*

create imperatives said...

Zach,
Daryl played an in an awesome
chamber music concert tonight at the amp.....which included a sandbag falling from the ceiling.

Good to hear you are out and about... Paul Simon sings a song about "playing the guitar, under the stars, and thankin the Lord for my fingers"
Good luck with that.

love,

Dad

create imperatives said...

so, Zach, remember once we went sailing on Chautauqua Lake with my colleague: he was the master mind behind a really inventive and hilarious concert tonight. there was a speed painter who painted an image of Beethoven while we played Beethoven 5th in 3 minutes and 50 seconds and many other amusing things. so far away from your new reality of heat and hands and different ideas of relationships. and is there soap?
love
Daryl

Kartikeya said...

this is a chance for you to cut loose and really explore the culture ;) men in india hold hands too--try it! hahah

happy forth!

Lace Cat said...

Hey zach
your comment about their concerns about their photos ending up in national geographic was interesting and really admirable.
I've heard that men in some islamic countries hold hands. I actually heard it from a US Marine, calling them pretty terrible, homophobic names. I'm glad you have an open-mind about it. (ps. maybe you should try holding hands. total immersion.)
hope you are well on the fourth.