At just over a week left I have decided that I am going to be ready. The truth is that I could prepare for a year and not be ready but thats not the point. Like many things, being ready to leave is a mental decision and I decided I was tired of feeling like I wasn't ready so I'm over it now.
Related to that, I just want to say thank you to everyone who as wished me well, congratulations, and support leading up to my departure. (Constantly receiving compliments makes it easier to accept what is coming ;)
On a different note, I thought it would be fun to make some predictions about what I will be like / have experienced upon my return in 2 years 3 months and 8 days. (no I'm not already counting!)
(in no particular order)
1. I will be fluent in French
2. I will be conversant in at least one other language
3. I will know how to play a number of Jack Johnson and Cake songs on guitar (those are the only books I bought)
4. I will have established a sustainable (environmentally and practically) project that will directly benefit both the people and environmental health of the village I am in
5. My career aspirations of working on the political side of environmental issues will be further affirmed
6. I will have met my wife. (I'd like deny this one but given what has happened to me every other time I have gone abroad just for a couple of weeks, it is a real possibility (by the way this does not exclude the girls I may already know from home so get your pens out and start writing letters!))
7. I will have visited at least 5 other nations I have never been to before.
8. Mauritania will win the annual NW African Peace Corp Volunteer softball tournament at least once.
9. I will have had something stolen from me, but not one of my expensive possessions.
10. 5 family members and 3 friends will have visited. (so start saving)
11. I will have a sweet accent that I will consider keeping for the hell of it.
12. I will have mastered the art of turban tying.
13. I will have at least 10 peace corps friends and 10 mauritanian friends that I will keep in touch with for the rest of my life.
14. I will have cried 10 times
15. I will have laughed 34083 times
16. The Swank family traditional dinner conversation topic will be brought up at least once in the company of mauritanians.
17. The previous moment will define whether or not I have been accepted.
19. I will have drank way more cups of tea than the number of days I was over there. Thats 800+ for those counting
20. I will have made a meaningful and useful difference and therefore continued to live well.
Monday, June 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment