In addition to actually getting here, there are a ton of things to talk about but I will save topics like the fact that a lot of men hold hands, the morning calls to worship at 4am, and the heat to other other posts. Today, given that I have just eaten lunch, I will talk about the struggles of being in the Peace Corps where you get wireless internet and cell service as well as eating meals and why it is easy to remember not to use my left hand.
First, connectivity. So yes, we are all a little uncomfortable that we have wireless. There were 16 laptops out in the guys dorm last night (about half of us had them) and there would have been more if we had told the girls about it. (Since starting this post they have found out and now there are a similar number sharing one connection again. Oh the hardships of the Peace Corps, only one wireless connection!!!) Almost everyone else also has cell phones, which will work pretty much everywhere. I didn't buy one because I told you all I would call anyway and there is no one to call here. Once training is over I will probably pick one up. You can call me then.
Allow me let to introduce you to our training center:
It was graciously donated by the Mauritanian government and resembles a series of airplane hangers more than anything but the large rooms are practical in the heat. A couple of fans can cool a whole room down by a number of degrees.
That's it for today, more updates daily throughout the rest of the week until Friday when I will begin my community based training and will likely be away from internet for a week(s) at a time. Although I was wrong about that already...
3 comments:
When you have spent your whole life in one culture it is pretty amazing to thin about doing almost everything another way. A lot to wrap your head around. Your sharing goes a long way to helping us understand. Car is sold. Money will be banked in your account. Thanks for the sharing. It does my heart good!
Awesome. Now you can wow the fam fam with delightful tid-bits about our favorite dinner table topic.
Everything you say is AWESOME!... but of course I have to ask: NO TP FOR TWO YEARS??????????? I love you. You are surely stronger than I am. I would've been outta there already.. *grin*.. btw.. have you started to wash your hands yet???? .. *grin* .. and do you have TP NOW??? If not, what do you wipe w/???? Ewww... I love you, FOZZIE BUTT!! .. *hug*..
Post a Comment