Wednesday, September 3, 2008
Books
Between studying a new culture, having plenty of time, loving learning, and being naturally intrusive I am increasingly seeing these next two years as a formative experience. As such, I am looking for reading recommendations. I am interested in your favorite books, books on the environment, politics, Buddhism, ethics, personal development, etc. I am particularly interested in anything that will be informative for my career in environmental politics. I'll read anything really, textbooks included. Send me a recommendation and I'll find a way to get it (that's you parents ;).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Bro,
I don't know if these reads are what you are looking for, but maybe?
1. Environmental NGOs in World Politics: Linking the Local and the Global
- By Thomas Princen,
Matthias Finger
Summary: Environmental non-governmental organizations, in recent years, have grown in size and in number as a result of governmental negligence toward the world's environmental crisis.
"Environmental NGOs in World Politics" examines how NGOs have grown in importance to a point where the act as key arbitrating agents within the field of environmental policy. By inter-relating global and local concerns, NGOs find themselves able to not only emphasize important ecological issues, but also raise consciousness about the environment. Drawing upon the cases of the Greak Lakes water negotiatios, the ivory trade ban and protection of the Antartic's environment, Thomas Pincen and Matthias Finger not only present the scope and diversity of NGO activity, but the challenging difficulties and tensions which face them as well.
This 2nd book looks comprehensive perhaps....
2. Environment and Politics
- By Timothy Doyle, Doug McEachern
Published by Routledge, 2001
ISBN 0415217725, 9780415217729
216 pages
Summary: Environment and Politicsis a concise introduction to the study of environmental politics, explaining the key concepts, conflicts, political systems and the practices of policy-making. The second edition includes: * new material on climate change, the role of the World Trade Organisation and the rise and politics of the 'wise use' movement in America * a fully revised chapter on political parties * updated case studies from North and South America, Europe, Asia and Australia and new examples are added throughout the book.
lastly.. may be good also..
3. Environmental Politics: Interest Groups, the Media, and the Making of Policy
- By Norman Miller
Published by CRC Press, 2002
ISBN 1566705525, 9781566705523
174 pages
Summary: Providing an in-depth analysis of the major stakeholders in environmental policy, this innovative book reviews the political battles over the environment from ground level, as they are fought in legislative chambers, the daily newspaper, on television, and, increasingly, on the Internet. The text views politics as a clash of interests, not ideologies, and environmental policy as a process accommodating those interests. Environmental Politics: Interest Groups, the Media, and the Making of Policy gives readers an insider's view of how policies are forged. By examining these issues through an interest group lens this book not only accounts for what policies have been adopted but shows how you can influence policy and effect change.
Check it out - let me know if any of that's useful. love you.
I'll send you some stuff maybe. Did you take that book on National Parks and indigenous groups I keep pestering you to read? If not, where might it be? I'll send it to you.
As an aside. When you get back or when it comes out on DVD. Burn After Reading was very funny. It is the new Coen brother's movie. (Raising Arizona, No Country for Old Men, etc.)
Post a Comment