Friday, September 26, 2008
Obama
I am currently listening to the presidential debates in real time over NPR that I am getting through a cell phone connection to the internet. Its a pretty remarkable thing. However, its not the technology I want to talk about. People here know more about the American elections than they do about the political situation in their own country. This is because it is likely that the U.S. government has more affect on their lives here than there own: coup d'etats make it difficult to govern effectively. However, its more than that. Obama has not just captured the hope of the American people, but without trying he as also won over the world. A lot of people are aware of this and much has been written of it. However, I'd like to confirm that it is in fact true. When I meet people in my village, one of the first, if not the first, question they ask me is who I want to win. I get news about the race from people on the street. Paint is expensive here and it is therefore rarely used, but walking around my town you can find Obama's name painted on things from fooseball tables to shops. Obviously, a significant portion of this support is because he is black, but it is not all of it. Its pretty remarkable to see people of another country rally behind our potential leader in such an enthusiastic way. It is certainly true that we should not let the world vote for us, but we would be stupid not to pay attention to what it is saying.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Wow! Insightful, incredibly well stated and very powerful obsevation. I want to share this with a larger group. I will email it to the Obama web site.
Zach,
That is slammin! Fired up....ready to go! How great to be in touch with you this week. Be well. Peace.
love,
Dad
Zachman,
I haven't stopped reading your blogs and continue to love this journey we are taking together. You know, if I think back to when we first met at Horizons, I had no doubt that this is what you would be doing. You are a world changer my friend, but the thing I love most about you is that you are a world changer one person at a time. I love and respect that part of you and your character. Too many people simply cast words of change but you live them. Now with that said, I think you did an amazing job writing about a man who is seeking to do the same. We had some friends that just returned from two years with World Vision in Zambia and they said the same thing about Obama. Thank you for who you are Zach and thank you for sharing all that you do. We are reading it and you are far from alone. You are loved from all over the world and we couldn't be more proud!
In Hoc,
Tom
I'm glad you're sending this off to the Obama website mom... that's exactly what I was thinking!!!!!!!!!!
Pretty impressive stuff Zach..........
On the note of politics.......
RE: the $700 billion bill that Bush is proposing... it has been initially shot down and went before Senate again last night - and passed (74-25, I think) - and the House will be voting again I assume by the end of the week or early next week (week of 10/6 - for whenever you get back on line). They made some changes that make it more favorable for the common people, so who knows...
The VP debate is tonight in St. Louis.... Kirk & I highly anticipate watching it. Maybe you can catch some of it via cell phone/radio technology... *smile*
Lots of criticism on Palin.... There was a lot of news footage of her being coached at McCain's ranch. She's being carried in a lot of ways by the Republican party... we'll see how she does on her own two feet w/o use of McCain or anyone else to bail her out... she's made a few blunders that have pple questioning during her interview w/ Katie Couric this week. Can't wait to see how it goes.... Interesting note : Polls reflect that even Alaska has started to express misgivings of her abilities... Hmmm....... not a confidence booster by far.
Of further interesting - the moderator for the debate tonight is a woman, Gwen Ifill - she has recently written a book called "The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama." It speaks of contemporary politics and just what the title speaks of... there's concern she will not be unbiased, but I'm sure considering her position, she'll work extra hard to be just that - as objective as she can........
btw, I'll get you the book and care-package it to you if you want?? Let me know, ok????
Guess that's all for now...........
Oh - the world traveler, billionaire pilot/adventurer - Steve Fossett - you know he was declared dead last year when his plane disappeared.... just this week some people found several forms of his ID and misc. items in CA... and then later this week (yesterday - 10/1) I think - plane wreckage they believed to be his was found 10,000 feet of elevation in the Sierra Nevada Mountains in the vicinity of Mammoth Lakes, California... sadly, this is occurring around his 1 yr. anniversary of his disappearance....
Lastly - the blog response your friend Tom said - he said something that may help you during your impatient times : " You are a world changer my friend, but the thing I love most about you is that you are a world changer one person at a time." - A world changer one person at a time... the most effective kind of change is the kind that starts within... within yourself, within a small family, small community, etc., etc... greatest change starts small.... like the star fish story...... one star fish at a time.. may not seem incredible to some... but to that star fish - to that person - to that Mauritanian... it makes all the difference in the world... you ARE making a difference over there just in your mere presence... Don't forget that!!!!!!!!!! *hug*
Fozzie,
Recent update on the 2nd presidential debate that took place in Tennessee, 10/7... Tom Brokaw was moderator, but the debate took place in form of a town hall mtg...
Obama (or as McCan't - I mean, McCain - referred to Obama in the debate as : "that one") - has come out on top of the 2nd debate in all CNN polls ... he was the one who remained upmost professional and while neither of them always answered the questions asked, Obama answered the majority of them over McCain ... who spent most of his 1+ minute(s) trying to slam Obama...
McCain attempted to slam Obama's enthusiasm about going into Pakistan, calling Obama "risky & bellicose" McCain was shut down when Obama's response was to point out how McCain's response to Iran was to "bomb, bomb, bomb Iran" - clearly pointing out who was indeed bellicose.
Obama seemed to be more prepared for the debate. Had some good things to state about foreign policy, health insurance and I felt exhibited sincere empathy for the concerns people are expressing. For the shots he took at McCain about how McCain claimed Iraq would be an easy & popular invasion, that business groups are wary of McCain's health plan and that McCain was untrue when he said he lead in Fannie-Freddie reform... Obama's accusations towards McCain on all those points are true.
McCain was unprepared, stood through the entire debate (probably b/c the stool was almost as tall as he was), made inaccurate accusations about Obama on Freddie & Fanny being Obama's 2nd top funder, accusing Obama of never standing up to Democrats, and a few others... according to CNN's fact check - none of the accusations were accurate. McCain was rude, condescending and ill-tempered.
McCain also stuttered through many of his answers and often appeared ill, as if he was going to fall down at any moment.
Finally - McCain, at the end of the debate REFUSED to shake Obama's hand when Obama offered it to him.... He deferred Obama's hand shake to Cindy McCain and then stalked off the stage w/o ever taking Obama's hand.... so much for his stance on bipartisanship.
Overall, critics, among those, both Republican & Democratic analysts, are saying that McCain is losing ground.... which polls clearly indicate. He is also losing in all the battleground states at the moment...
And last parting note : Drink next time you hear Palin say "Maverick" and you hear McCain refer to everyone in condescension as "my friends" .. *smile*
Finally, in way of news : AIG was just bailed out by the federal gov't by way of something like $85-90 billion.. how does AIG choose to celebrate? A nice dinner? Nah........ Executives of AIG decided they have EARNED the week-long retreat at the luxury spa, St. Regis Resort, in Monarch Beach, CA for just a mere $440k!!!
Glad to see our tax dollars are hard at work.
Post a Comment