So I am now on day 4 of two years at my site ;)! (well technically I am not there now, but I was this morning and I will be going back soon) The first thing that I want to share is that I love my town. Its in a very green area, it rained last night, I can see senegal, the people are awesome and seem to be very receptive to the type of work I am going to be doing. For example:
I was in a hardware store/boutique and randomly struck up a conversation with a guy named Usman who happens to be in charge of the work that World Vision is doing in my town. From that meeting I was invited to a meeting the next day with a number of community members and the head of World Vision Mauritania. At that meeting I met someone who is the president of one of the parent teacher associations AND an environmental organization in town. I also met someone who specificially requested a project on Moringa, a very beneficial tree that the PC is trying to promote. Also a number of other people have approached me randomly asking to talk about how we can work together. This doesn't necessarily mean my job will be easy, but the fact that there are a number of people who want to work with me rather than have things done for them should make it fun.
Another thing that comes to mind is that I feel that I am probably failing horribly at describing what life is like here, this is because it is drastically different. Yet, at the same time it is surprisingly the same. To make matters worse, I can only guess at what your preceptions are. I am not saying this in a defeatest manner, only as a recognition that I need to address what my experience is fundamentally like here. I will think about this and put it in a later post.
To end this post on a more upbeat note, here are some snippets of what I have learned recently:
- In Mauritania if you are going to be waiting for lunch for 45 minutes (read two hours) that is too short of a time to bother walking the two minutes to go back to your house to get something to do.
- Don't get lost and keep asking for directions at dinner time during Ramadan unless you are hungry.
- When the kids beg you for money, telling them you will only give them money if they give you money first doesn't work because they will. However, saying that they have to give you their pants is effective.
Well, that's it for now, as once again my time on the internet is short. I promise to begin writing on my laptop at my site, writing letters, and to post more pictures. I don't exactly know when the next time I will be on the internet will be, but two weeks is probably a good guess.
Wednesday, September 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Don't get frustrated trying to explain. The Book Dancing Skeletons helped a lot, but your pictures are worth 1000 words! Love the comment about kids and money...too cute! I miss you but it is made so easy by your joy and excitement.
Bro - I LOVE the pics also - i concur w/ mom - don't stress about telling us your environment. You are doing just fine. The pics really DO say 50 million things we know you want to verbally say but can't/don't.
Asking children to give you pants for $ - ingenious! Was that learned thru trial & error or a tip from another PCV?
Some top thoughts from your pics:
1. Mauritanians are BEAUTIFUL.
2. i see many children w/ necklaces. Who makes those? gifts from you?
3. If animals are sign of wealth - are they treated as perhaps donkeys/dogs would be or diff. classification?
4. Is your entire house cement? Do you want to hang items on your walls? Do u need hanging items sent?
5. LOVE your hammock trees. I ABSOLUTELY can see you napping/reading there.
6. YOU LOOK HAPPY AND REFRESHED IN ALL YOUR PICS.
I love you, bro. I am so proud of you and continuously impressed.....
Keep us learning, bro!!
Off to check out The Book of Dancing Skeletons this wkend. while we ride out the residue of Hurricane Hannah while she passes us and heads for Myrtle Beach & Charleston.....
Rock on.
btw, watched Rep. Convention last night and listened to Palin speak. She's hardcore and measures up to her nickname Barracuda... bitingly aggressive, I felt. Impressed w/ her assertiveness but I felt she played a bit dirty. Typical politics.
A moment one of the cameras captured during the convention was definitely worth watching it last night:
Camera zooms in on Palin's 2nd youngest child holding down syndrome sibling.. she was lovingly stroking baby's hair and then all of a sudden she licks her palm in a GREAT "dog lick" and takes the licked hand and flattens the baby's hair!!!!!!!!
Republican Convention: Boring
Palin: Aggressive & questionable
Tender sibling moment: priceless!
Hi Zach- I have LOVED reading your blog all summer. Now that I am back at school, I thought of your wonderful presentations to my classes last May, and decided to post a comment. Thanks for letting us live a bit vicariously through your great adventure! I am truly proud of you!
Swank,
I just went to my first bidnight as alumni, I just wanted to update you on what happened. It went well, I met up with a lot of friends that I havent seen since last semester (brothers and nonbrothers). Bidnight itself was good too. All the events went as usual. We got 5 new pledges, from which I got 2 littlest (my tree is exponentially reproducing now, jk) I heard that they have a bunch of freshmen interested and they are expecting another big spring class (remember when the class size was bigger in the fall? idk what happened). I will also be attending the I* since I have two littlest that would be initiated. I will keep you posted on those details as well. I hope you are having fun up there, make sure you keep an open mind throughout your journey. everyone is doing good up here in good ol' NY.
I also concur with MMMMama. You won't be able to adequately prose us your experiences there. Not without a story to tell and a thesis to write or an epic poem, and even then people have problems or get it all wrong. That's OK. Just tell us what is relevant to your interests (http://icanhascheezburger.com/2007/01/11/this-is-relevant-to-my-interests/), what gets you jazzed, and so forth.
For example:
This week I learned that if you keep a newborn baby in total darkness for it's first nine months of life, it will be blind. FOREVER.
And also, my little city had a windstorm last night and leaves and sticks line the sides of the street.
This is all I want from you my dear.
The necklaces are for protection. The small white beads are for protecting your teeth and are made from camels teeth. The black squares are called "gris gris" and usually contain Koranic verses, they are for general protection and good luck. There are more but I forget what they are for.
No, unfortunately you don't have to be kind to animals for them to live so their is no connection to their value and the quality of their treatment.
Yeah my house is cement, and there are nails here.
Post a Comment