Friday, September 26, 2008

My Health

Hello again all, it has been a while and a lot has happened. Yet, at the same time, not much has happened. That’s how life goes. As always I wish I could share the realities of my experiences, but unfortunately the best I can do is describe a few of them…

I’ll start with a note for those of you who are generously concerned for my health: it has been fine. I have not been sick since training and I have gained back the weight that I lost. The family that I eat with most the time cooks VERY well. (I eat meals that would be acceptable in the U.S.) I had some volunteer friends visit and one of them said the following: “I can’t believe it, this meal is ­actually healthy.” In the words of Bill Murray: so I’ve got that going for me. My mental health has been a little rockier but I am still doing well in this respect also. Loneliness, irrational frustration, anger towards kids/goats, depression, home sickness, boredom, and culture shock are some of the negative emotions that I have experienced. As far as I can tell these are all normal for the situation that I am in and I seem to be handling them well. From what I’ve been told, these sorts of troubles should taper off over the next two months, and then reappear close to the middle and the end of my service. I wouldn’t say that my emotions have been like a roller coaster, perhaps that I have just been operating at a lower level than normal. The good news is that through all of this I have kept a generally positive attitude and have not wished that I wasn’t here once. I consider that a pretty good achievement. Its sort of like this: while I am not always enjoying it, I am glad I am here.

So far the gain for all of this pain is that I am beginning to settle in. I established a routine and then broke it for one that is better. I know where to buy peanut butter (the literal translation for peanut butter, “tigi dege” in Pulaar, is “very peanut”). I established a budget, went way over it, and I am now back on track. Also I have already learned some important lessons that I imagine will stay with me throughout my life:

- All people are more alike than they are different.

- Most of the world eats a lot of rice

- How exciting it can be when ANYTHING happens

- How quickly you can find genuine friends (when you speak the same language)

- It is possible to sit and do absolutely nothing for hours and not be bored

- Nice people will rip you off

- When buying peanut butter, honey, and dates felt like a shopping spree

- Treats are meant to be consumed immediately and not saved. Saving them only turns them into a source of frustration.

- How much you are in control of your emotional state, what you experience, and how much you enjoy it

4 comments:

Mom (Ma) said...

So much sharing! Thanks so much Zach. I want to take my time responding, but just wanted you to know your sharing got to me and I feel closer! Love, Mom

Mom (Ma) said...

The "Pain/gain" index is a good way to look at it. Would that life could always be exciting, passionate, fun, happy, rewarding, but what would we measure it against? I think it is a matter of how much can be tolerated before it becomes not good for you. You seem to have a very healthy way to look at it and self monitor it. I have a great deal of faith that you will find a healthy mental path. (Would some more fruit leathers help?)
Love, Mom

Zach Swank said...

Absolutely. I find that fruit leathers help in every situation, always!

ChloeDancer said...

You STILL buy fruit leathers, mom?? Now Zach, fruit leathers.. now that's something TRULY passed down through generations!!

Zach - you will learn so much about yourself, as you already are... gain so much as you are have been and will continue.. patience, I imagine, will be one of the greatest tools you will have... and remember - observation is a HUGE asset and tool... don't underestimate its productivity and value.... *hug*

In order to be effective with change, you have to know your subject... by observing and getting to know your town and the people, you learn about their strengths, limitations, places of eagerness, and their fears....

This is all just a place to start... you will be soaring before you know it... be grateful for the time to rest and observe. Soon, I have a feeling your blogs will be telling us that you don't have enough time in your day to get everything done...

Us Americans have often been criticized for wishing our lives away - wanting everything yesterday and when we finally have it - wishing we had more time to enjoy it.... Enjoy your down time... *hug*... I think Mauritanians will probably help remind you so poignantly about about picking your battles and the value of appreciating the smallest things..... which are often the greatest... And, in turn, you will remind us..........

Love you.