5:30 – Guy walks around singing to wake everyone up for Ramadan breakfast. Go back to sleep
7:30 – Wake up, pack up my tent, go inside
8:00 – 9:00 – Try to get BBC world news on the radio, give up, bucket shower, make tea, eat a peanut butter and honey sandwich and dates for breakfast.
9:00 – “Ok now what am I going to do with my day?”
9:00 – 12:00 Study language / meet with people before they get tired / clean house / watch other people work to see how its different here and out of boredom. My favorites to watch so far are cell phone repair, jewelry making, and home construction.
12:00 – 1:00 Go to eat lunch at Samba’s house
1:00 – 3:00 Sit under Samba’s sun block thing. Read, write, or nap
3:00 – 5:00 Computer time: writing a proposal for a project, writing blog posts, or reading PC info / listening to music
5:00 – 6:30 Go to the market or the sandwich boutique (25 cents for a fish paste sandwich that almost tastes like a cheese steak sub minus the cheese and the steak!)
7:00 Break fast with my roommate
7:30 – 9:30 Dinner and tea with Samba’s family or with some one else that wants to know why I haven’t been over recently or at all yet.
9:30 – 10:30 Duck out of where ever I am early, and go hang out with my roommate and listen to Mauritanian music
10:30 – 11:00 Watch an episode of House while my computer charges
11:00 Bucket bath again, set up tent, hope that it is not too hot to sleep.
Repeat.
That’s obviously not what I do every single day, but it’s a good average. I expect it will change significantly once Ramadan is over and once I start working more in the community. Right now my “work” is a lot of language studying and reading PC documents on environmental education.
2 comments:
Questions: What happened to the shower? Are you drinking enough? Love the "cheese steak" story. Do people seek you out for meals or do you have to ask?
The shower doesn't work and bucket showers conserve water. Also, the only way to get water that isn't hot is out of the canary in a bucket, so if I want a cold shower it has to be a bucket shower anyway. People seek me out for meals. I can/have literally walked around town around during meal time just to get people to invite me in and feed me. Its pretty fun. Although, if you are not hungry and you get lost in town around meal time, you are in for some problems. Fortunately, I am always hungry.
Post a Comment