Monday, June 23, 2008

The Scene

In order to give everyone a better idea of what things are like here, I thought I would set the scene (or at least the scene for the rest of the week before it changes), so close your eyes and picture this: ;)

As previously described, the training center looks like a series of airplane hangers but is actually not too hot when the fans are running (we lose power a couple of times a day (we also loose water)). Speaking of hot it gets hot enough here that you sweat through your shirt when you are just sitting down and not moving. At the peak of the day the best place to be is in the Hima (sp?) that tent like thing in the previous pictures. Also when the wind is blowing, which it does reasonably often, the heat is bearable. We eat all of our meals in the refectoire sitting on the floor. Many of our class sessions are in there too. Technical training began today and the environmental education people meeting in a garden in town. Speaking of town, imagine what you would think a street in Kabul would look like and that's what it looks like: bombed out. The deal is that Mauritanians build when they have money, not when they have enough money to finish the project. So the result is that many of the buildings remain permanently half finished.

The feel of the people is also worth commenting on. The trainers, there are a lot of them, are all very excited to have us here. We are the biggest group they have ever had and this is the first time they have used this training center. So they have been preparing just about as long as we all have. The current PCV volunteers that are helping out are incredibly friendly and useful. The trainees (thats me) are all extremely excited about damn near everything. The food is delicious, nothing weird yet, and you get used to the new toilet routine pretty fast. Really, right now the whole place has the feel of a summer camp. We play soccer at break, there are about 8 guitar players in the group, we sit out side and relax... Quite nice.

BUUUUUUUUUT, this is Mauritania-lite right now. On friday we leave to begin community based training and to stay with host families, where we will spend most of our time for the next 9 weeks. Then after that we go out to our sites and the real work begins. Speaking of work, we are starting to get a normal load now. By normal I mean, normal for me at college. They are going to start loading us down pretty heavily now because there is a lot to learn. The good news is that while we are busy, its all really interesting work. Its one thing to have a french assignment at school and another thing to be told to go out and buy clothes. Its one thing to practice writing syllabi and another to teach with it. Basically, the training here is conducted the way all education should be.

That's it for now, I have so much to share but its late (11:17 eep!) haha. Peace.

9 comments:

Mom (Ma) said...

You know Zach, You are doing something I always wish I had done. So your sharing gives me great joy (not to mention peace of mind) It is cool to get so much communication I realize it won't always be this way.

Becca Swank said...

Oh! Your fun is just getting started! I am so excited for you Zach. There is something about being out of your comfort zone and knowing you can still excel that gives me a rush. It sounds like you are experiencing something like that. Sort of you are a little scared but you know you can do the next thing. For you I imaging the feeling must be amplified because you are really going to be doing something with your time beyond learning. Keep sharing the surreal. Baisers sur votre visage!
Je t'aime mon petit frère.

create imperatives said...

Hey Z Mister,
It seems you still have your sense of humor....delightful......
and adventure....swimmin...
some thermal tolerance....chillin....
and share our love and laughter....
nice.

love,

Dad

Linda in the Northeast Kingdom said...

Yo Zach-man,

When the heat and desert seem a bit much - remember you have dreams of the Great Northern Forest to keep you company...moist, green, dark, and full.

Big love from Vermont,
Linda

ChloeDancer said...

Kirk & I love reading these posts! We do this nightly to see what you have out there.. He sends a huge hi and reminds you to KEEP washing your hands now that he knows you are most likely washing your hands every second you have.. *smile*.. Or not, knowing you!! ... Kirk says just be sure to wash your left hand, if nothing else!! ...

I can picture you all there strummin' on the guitar... hanging out... laughing at the latest stories and enjoying friendships.

In some ways, I would almost feel guilty for being AMerican and living w/ the things we take for granted which others would consider huge luxuries... have you experienced anything like that yet? .. I agree w/ Becca... sounds like you are living out of your element but also sharing and educating... Their element will soon become yours and already appears to be... I'm proud of you bro... It's a resonating thing within this family.... we are all proud of you... *hug* ... oh hey - do you get to shower there? Kirk asks if they are buckets of cold water & a bar of soap as he experienced in Morocco? And of course I want to know if you burn your woo woos???

David, Penny, and Ben said...

Hey Zach -- just finished reading all your posts! So cool -- what a terrific adventure. You're in our thoughts each day. Smiles and hugs to you! Love, Penny

Lastyearsstyle said...

Swanker-

Just sent u a little letter today; lets see if you get it in time before you leave!!!

Sounds like you are really enjoying the experience already; which I had no doubt you would! Stay safe and happy!

Rodolfo said...

I like this blogs. they are short but contain a great deal of information. the culture is very different from what i have seen. even in my own country. so its kinda cool to read about. keep the pictures coming. I'll let you know how the 20th year anniversary goes, in the meantime i'll try to keep up with your blogs.... adios swank

Zach Swank said...

- Nah, no feelings of uncomfortableness about being an american yet.
- Yes we do bucket showers
- No we don't burn our poop
- Yes I wash my hands