Sunday, July 20, 2008

100% Religion

So, I'm 20+ posts and a month in now and I have not mentioned religion yet. Given how much it is a part of life here, its sort of a miracle that it hasn't shown up in any of my posts. So here's an intro to a topic I am sure I will continue to explore in future posts:

For starters, Mauritania is officially the Islamic Republic of Mauritania (RIM). The country is virtually 100% Muslim. The only people who would not identify themselves as Muslim are foreigners. Also, being Muslim here is not like being "Christian" in the U.S. I know many people back home who identify as Christian, but in reality their identification is about as far as their commitment goes. Maybe they go to church, maybe they practice their own brand, or maybe they just identify with the religion because it makes life easier. Those sorts of commitments don't exist in Mauritanian/Muslim life. Maybe it does, but people would not share it with anyone if that were the case. Being Mauritanian means being Muslim, rather Islam comes before the country but you get the idea. Also, demonstrations of faith for Christians is usually a once a week thing. It happens 5 times a day during prayers here. In short, religion is a way of life here for everyone.

As such, the concept of religious diversity does not really exist. There is a recognition that Christians are also "people of the book" but beyond that religious diversity is unknown. This makes for interesting situations for people who identify as atheists, buddhist, pagan, and many other beliefs. The general rule of thumb is to identify as Christian when asked about your religion no matter what you believe. Also, they generally believe that all Christians are Catholic here. Sharing that you are an atheist has been known to end close relationships with Mauritanians permanently. This has been interesting for me as I have thus far chosen to lie and say that I am "Catholic." I have done this for two very practical reasons, one I don't have the language skills in French or Pulaar to explain my beliefs and even if I did, I am fairly certain they would strain relations with my Mauritanian friends and family. It makes my life easier but it is also a bit of a challenge because I have to lie every time I am asked about it. I feel that after a while this will be a bit of a drag. Also, I have not had any conversion attempts yet, but I am sure that I will. The up shot of these is that they mean that the person(s) care about you because they are trying to get you to convert so you don't go to hell, but they can still be trying.

In short, being Muslim is VERY much a part of daily life here for EVERYONE and that puts one in an interesting position; interesting as a witness to a totally different way of approaching religion and also because it can put me in tough situations.

I am sure I will have much more to say about this in later posts, but it is so much a part of life I wanted to introduce it now.

On a totally different note, SITE ANNOUNCEMENT IS TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH YEAH! very excited about that.

Ellen Rocks!

9 comments:

Mom (Ma) said...

Whos is Ellen?

ChloeDancer said...

I am surprised you have chosen this route in declaring your own religious beliefs. While I agree w/ the "greater good" I have to wonder if you are not giving Mauritanians enough credit to accept you equally as much as you must accept them..... as you/they are. I realize that I am coming from the SAFE viewpoint of being in my own comforts of home and in a culture I already know ...... but isn't part of the Peace Corps mission statement to learn about all cultures, which obviously includes you to them... BUT also... them to you. What have others done in light of this situation? In your group of trainees and those before you? Just food for thought..... again, this is easy to make opinion on your decision to proceed this way when I am living in my own comforts.... just my opinion...... love you!

ChloeDancer said...

btw, is Ellen the one who gives your site assignments or a girl in your training group who has decided it's impractical to maintain a long-distance-totally-different-continent relationship for two years and you're excited she's setting the pace for the rest of the pretty ones??? .. *grin*..

Becca Swank said...

(more for cara than zach...) I imagine saying you are catholic is like telling someone from outside new york state that you live in near buffalo. though it is not exactly true, it is easier for the other person to understand than if you were to say the exact town you live in. so saying you are catholic/christian is basically like saying you are not muslim. it gets the basic information across in a way that is understandable.

ChloeDancer said...

While I do understand WHY he's doing it, I'm just feeling it's such a drastic lie. But it's easy for me to judge while I'm here vs. being over there and dealing with all the new challenges, etc. I can't imagine that Zach's the 1st to ever pass through the Peace Corps w/ different religious ideals... I know in Zach making this stand that it does NOT reflect that he doesn't know his beliefs or who he is in that regard. I just still feel that it is important that Mauritanians grow and have thoughts/ideals challenged and grow equally as much as volunteers....... Don't worry - I still love Zach to death....... It changes nothing about how I feel about Zach being there or how he does anything while he's there... Like I said, it's easy for me to judge while in the comforts of my home vs. his environment.... Our difference in opinion merely affirms that we love each other and can agree to disagree... *wink*

Unknown said...

We are following your adventures with you Zach, and your bro here is already missing you at the beach even though we haven't gotten there yet. Will "talk" through Kevin here once in a while, but am enjoying all of the pics and details of life in place that I am sure will hold a very special place in you for the rest of your life. What an awesome dive into cultures unknown to us Americans. Lorene, Doug and Kevin

Anonymous said...

Brother Zach,
First of all, I'm so proud of you. What an honor to take this journey with you so thank you for posting your thoughts for all of us to read. I talked to Josh yesterday and he literally may be heading your way so we'll see if you connect in person! How random and amazing would that be! So now onto your religion thoughts. Zach, all of us try to put ourselves into your shoes and tell you what to do, not do, etc. It's easy to give our advice from our comfort here, but we don't know what you are truly feeling as you fit into a new culture and seek to make new friends. So here is my one thought...be you Zach. Be authentically you. As Bill George talked about, the greatest struggle with leaders is that they simply struggle being themselves. Who you are Zach is amazing. So be authentically you and I know you will impact them as they impact you. By you being willing enough to take on this wonderful adventure, you are changing us with you!
In Hoc,
Tom

Becca Swank said...

There are lot's of ways our Zach can be authentically himself without worrying about every little detail. Picking battles is a part of life, and compromising to get the good things accomplished is part of growing up (stupid grownups).

What I love is that, as much as
Zach is providing a window for us into a different world, so he will provides a window to Mauritanians into a world familiar to all of us at home. As a window, looking though both ways, we will only see though Zach's unavoidable human subjectivity. Zach is going to learn so much and share so much and he will remember and think about, and be remembered and thought about. He will leave Mauritanians with the impression that Americans are passionate and energetic and come home with his own impressions based on the personalities he meets. It is so freaking cool that we are all human and can really connect on so many different levels if we try. (One of the things I believe to be a human universal is potty humor, so Zach please pay attention to what folks joke about, and I want to hear about it the second a new friend snickers at a fart or fart joke.)

Zach is probably already a different the-same-person. It is weird to explain. The change of place makes you different the second you submerse yourself in it, but the core of you is the same. It is the same even if you feel it is not. You are free of the restrictions your own culture imposes upon you and since you are foreign, can be forgiven for breaking the occasional low/moderately important cultural rule, so it is sort of really freeing, and you can learn who you really are, reinvent yourself, be who you want. But you remain you, essentially. (Do you feel like that at all yet Zach?) Maybe part of the freedom feeling is just the constant adventure, but I like to think of it as temporary liberation from taboos like touching poop. In my case it was animal poop. In Zach's, his own.

On that note...Peace be with you all.

Affectionately,
Becca

Ellen said...

Although it's 100% true, did I really tell you to write that?

And no, I'm not stalking you via blog. ::wink::