Top 10 things that I appreciate at a new level here:
- bucket showers (I have been trying to decide what time of day is the most enjoyable, and I have come to the conclusion that every single time of day is the most enjoyable)
- meals in which rice or couscous are not the main ingredient (few and far between for lunch and dinner)
- the evening, night, and morning when the temperature is below 100 degrees and very enjoyable
- whenever ANYTHING happens (I actually really enjoy how easily entertained I am)
- feeling like I understand Pulaar
- when it rains (we are in the 3 month long rainy season right now, aka the only time of year it rains at all)
- drinking water
- getting letters from home (mom and maggie I got yours thanks!)
- writing letters (as soon as I find a post office I will be mailing a batch home)
- drinking 9+ cups of tea every day
Top 10 things that I could really do without:
- the middle part of EVERY day when it is over 100 degrees
- realizing that the reason I feel like I understand Pulaar is not because I do but because I have forgotten that I don’t
- not being able to fetch my own water because it’s a “woman’s job” (I sneak some back from the garden in water cans!)
- the lack of chairs
- flys
- the fact that lunch is at 3pm and dinner is at 10:30. 7 hours between meals is just too long
- how dirty everything gets so fast from the sand
- sweating
- the absolute lack of hammocks (has something to do with the lack of trees, but come on!)
- the cruel and unusualness of not being able to wear shorts
4 comments:
Aha! Now we understand why a chair was on the packing list!
I can see that it is 50% difficult as well as 50% enjoyable. Good of you to see glass half full first! That's my boy!
Lack of hammocks are against the rules or just not available there? Your town's water tower has those 4 legs.. could you not rig a hammock in between two of the legs and ponder how to ask why it is broken in Pulaar?? ... The tea making process looks intense.... I would truly be interested in hearing how they do it. I am glad you still love tea in 100+ heat... Your town store.. not exactly Target, but there was something so endearing about it. I loved it... it was cute.
Can you give us some insight on what is considered a luxury there and what would be considered a commodity?
In terms of the work ethic/maturity of youth... I think it's well known that everywhere aside from the US raises, by majority, responsible children who learn a strong work ethic... the difference is... the term "Work hard - play hard" .. that is a norm there, not the exception, as we often see in the US... we are often too involved w/ tooting our own horn to worry about the basics.. I think in doing what you are doing.. what Becca did... you are making changes on every level... and remember, when you think you are not making an immediat4e difference here in the States, I would say you are... there is not one person here who does not soak up what you are giving us and making us all think about our own lives, our our things we take for granted and perhaps make us think hard enough to redefine some of the things we each are doing in our individual lives... you are on track Zach.. keep it up!!!!!!!!!!! ........ love you loads... I'm so excited for you!! And with you!!
I must admit that I enjoy your posts, the insight into the culture is really amazing. Keep it up!
Post a Comment