Hello world! To celebrate the 4th they brought us all back to the training center, so I have unexpected access to internet. There is so much to say, I don't know where to begin and I also want to socialize a bit with some people other than my 4 site mates so I am not going to write a book. Lets see, the vitals:
My host family is awesome. I am living with the village chief, I live in the concrete house but all the other buildings are made of sticks and grass. (I'll send pictures next time I am back at the center, probably on the 17th) There is a little boy, Alason, who takes care of me; feeds me, carries my stuff, etc. I have 7 hours of language training every day. Its going well but I still can't understand my family.
I saw my first sand storm and understand why they make such a big deal about the rain in Africa.
Mbeyeta mi ko Amadu Sow. (My name is Amadu Sow)
Sorry for such a short post, but this is really exciting to be around every one. Next time I'll bring my journal and share some of my entries.
Happy Independence Day (We are getting cheeseburgers! amazing)
Friday, July 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Hey Zach,
We are with you in spirit from the farm.
Josh is here with his honey BIBI from Amsterdam. they are going to spend the summer with us in Vermont before going back to Amsterdam.
Ben drove from California and Sharon flew into Bradford.
Laurie drove from Columbus and we drove from Vermont.
What fun to be together with your Dad and Daryl!
Becca is coming tomorrow before the triathalon in Irving on Sunday.
So we are all thinking of you and loving you lots!
Big hugs,
Linda and Roger
Hey Zach,
I am glad you are enjoying yourself over there and learning a lot! DC is treating me pretty well; I have found myself really enjoying the research and am now searching for what I am doing next year...yes already doing that again. I really enjoy your blog, it is so interesting to learn about the culture you are getting the chance to live with..so thank you! Hope you had a great fourth of July and I look forward to hearing about more of your stories soon!
~Cindy
Good to hear from you....we send you our love.
Dad
It has been a fun reunion week at Dumary's and Swanks. Good to see both of Linda's kids! (Men) It was fun to think of you eating burgers right along with us! You sound so happy and excited Zach! Dave and I will be starting week 2 of retirement. So far so good. learning to share cars and computers! Ha! More hits than whiffs this week! Love you, journey on.
Amadu!!!! LIKE the name!!!!!!!!!
It's almost 10pm there, I see... and almost 6 here... We are watching Harry Potter and just got done eating bratwurst and kraut! Do you miss food here yet? What has been your favorite food over there thus far?
We've had a small twister and some serious rain come through here this past week... wish I could send some of the rain your way!!
LOVE my new job. Can't wait to hear how more about your host family... how old is Alason?? Can't wait to see pics!!
Love you always!!
..... Your girl who pees on trees ;)
Im glad that you are having fun with your host family. Kubs and I had a bbq at our house and a bunch of us were there for the 4th. Im sure you would have been there if you werent in another continent :)
Alumni weekend is this coming friday, so we are pretty excited to go up there as alumnis for the first time.
take it easy swank
I miss u, Zachary!!! I have been thinking about you all the time... and when I sweat my butt off running in 80+ heat, I think of you and what you're enduring and you get me through my final mile!!! I LOVE YOU!! Loads of love & support and whoo*hoos from Savannah.. XOXOXO
Post a Comment