Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I have a home!

So before I left my site for site visit I found this sweet place to live; it had two trees perfect of a hammock, a closed in courtyard perfect for a garden, a bathroom that was actually attached to the house, screens on the windows, and I was going to split the rent (it would have been $40 a month) with the guy who was currently living in half of the house but was never really there because he sells fish in Nouakchott. We had it all worked out, but then the landlord came over and tried to kick the guy (Sydu) out because he thought that I would pay more if I was living there by myself. After we talked him out of that, he said I would have to pay double because I was "rich." So I didn't end up living there.

BUT, I got a call from Sydu yesterday and he has apparently found a better place for the same price. If you look at Bababe on google earth or maps it is on the NE side (the side with planned streets). So I will basically have my own place which will allow me to spend as much or as little time with the families of my choosing as I want. Pretty excited about that. Also it apparently has a real shower, which is so far above my expectations I don't quite know how to feel about it.

9 comments:

Becca Swank said...

when you get to your site, in addition to your tutor, if you are not too busy, you might want to find someone who would be willing to sit with you and talk and gently correct you a couple times a week. In a low pressure environment, you might feel more comfortable using new words, grammar, ect. It should help your language improve more swiftly. Maybe that is just what the tutor will be, but just trying to have a casual conversation with someone a couple times a week with out worrying about getting everything perfect will help it be more natural.

create imperatives said...

Yikes Zach....
sounds like you are on an express train.....full speed ahead.....have a safe landing. Mailing a first letter to you today.

love,

Dad

Mom (Ma) said...

Stranger in a strange land! It is interesting to be the minority and misunderstood. If this could happen for all of us don't you think there would be more tolerance in the world!

ChloeDancer said...

Does your new home have the same setup for a hammock?

Great idea that Becca posed about finding a Mauritanian who would be excited to help you w/ your language.. you two could exchange as they may want to improve on their English too....

You said you would find someone who could cook for you.... SO posh. Running water and a personal chef. Hmmm... if I could bring TP into the Peace Corps, maybe I'll join too... *winking*... my questions:

1. Why would you have a family who cooks for you?

2. What prompted that? That is typical in your setting?

3. Your "kitchen" is in your apt. should you want to cook? Do you have what we would classify as a stove or is it much simpler? Free-standing burner?

4. Do you eat w/ your hands completely free of utensil at all time? If you use utensils, are they similar to what we use here?

sounds SO exciting, Zach!!!! .. xoxo

ChloeDancer said...

btw, does your new home have a fenced in courtyard too? If so, would it be uncommon for you to get a pet? A goat or something? Best not to name your pet Lord in this case ;)

ChloeDancer said...

Zach,

After learning about your new housing situation, other than saying Whoo*Hoo to you having running water, Kirk wanted to know how you met Sydu? Is he through Peace Corps networking or just "some guy" you linked up with? I know this is the obvious and you are already aware, but he did say to be careful about some locals wanting to take advantage of Americans. He experienced some of that in his overseas travels, especially the poorer countries/communities... Not indicative of anything other than human nature in some of every race/culture. He knows you have common sense not to turn a blind eye but you also have so much going on, just an extra reminder from him to keep a wary but friendly eye out on those you meet... *hug* ...

Rodolfo said...

hola zach,
thats awesome that you found a place to stay. I always thought that the program provided you with a place, but i guess i was wrong. everything is going well in the roc, hofo just had his party at his lake cottage and i saw a bunch of the guys there; however, only opar was there for our pledge class.
take care and good job at keeping your blog going
~el guapo

Net Ghost said...

Hi Zach,
Your mom gave my mom your blog site, and then my mom gave it to me. :) I am Donna and Mark Kain's daughter (they are long-time friends of your mom and Dave). I just wanted you to know that I love your blog. I am particularly interested in reading it because I am an immigration lawyer and represented 2 Mauritanians in their political asylum cases. They were both great guys and it is interesting to hear about where they came from. Good luck with everything.
Jeannie

Anonymous said...

Rudy lied, Moses was there too :-P

We had an outstanding Sweetheart showing with Katie, Holly, and Sondra all there, too. I actually got up waterskiing so I was pretty psyched about that. Surgery in 3 days, so I'm freaking out about that a little.

Miss you!