17 June:
- My arrival in Atlanta brings the relief of finally being on my way and just a little nervousness about really being on the way now. I can't fathom what it will be like and I don't know what I ever will be able to until I am there...
20 June:
- aaaand we're in the air! Its strange, all of the sense of mystery about the Peace Corps seems to have disappeared... The captain is announcing now and it makes me wonder how your perception of the size of the world would change if you crewed international flights...
21 June:
- We are here ... and most everyone has a shit eating grin plastered to their faces the whole time... It is, surprise, surprise, balls hot here... I feel that I am fully excited about the whole thing for the first time.
28 June:
- Second day of my homestay and its pretty surreal. I had not expected to be in a place so stereotypical of the western notion of Africa but here I am... Yesterday I had my first moment of "oh shit, what am I doing here???" I expect there will be a few more of those, it would not be difficult if there were not... Reality check: I am in Africa, living in a grass hut village, with the chief of the village and a 6 year old kid who takes care of me, I am speaking two languages, neither of which is english, we have a cow that guards the house, and my name is Aamadou...
30 June:
- Today was the first day I woke up refreshed and ready to roll. It felt great. I am also excited about getting some physical exercise in the garden later today. I guess today is a day of firsts because it was also the first day in which I felt like I was actually communicating. Also the first day I missed American food. I could really go for a salami sandwich right now.
2 July:
- I feel like I haven't been able to express my personality with my family, but I have a routine and I enjoy the greetings... I am also excited about the things I get excited about. Much of the easy entertainment I used to be excited about is being replaced by more dynamic and rich activities. It is definitely true that we over estimate the value of our technological progress. I don't understand how we do that without realizing that it would mean that our parents and grandparents hated their lives until now.
8 July:
I finally feel like I know enough Pulaar to make it worth while to speak it.
More to come.
Saturday, July 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Love the fact that you are gardening! Maybe Di and I had a good hand in that. Remember the gardens you planted with all the extra seeds we had? How are the bugs? We are having a real battle this summer. The winter was not cold enough and the bugs are real pests (ha, get it? :)- Global Warming at work! The tropical storms have started early this year. There is one hanging off the coast of North Carolina and a few in the Carribian. So once again we see pictures of the record heats off the Sahara only this year I know that you are one of the souls enduring them.
swank,
i've been reading most of your blogs, and its kinda cool to see a very different culture. I got your email about the flag, but then ryan joy responded before i did. whenenver you get the flag, take a picture and send it here (well, just post it online). that will be cool. so you gardening? well i have a plant of my own in my office, i know is not the same but its kinda related. Also, I started brewing my own beer, I have it fermenting in a bucket in my house. by the time you get back, i would have unlock the secrets of great brewing and i will amaze you :)
Rodolfo
I love reading your blog - your pictures and posts really make me appreciate what's around here - and makes me want to get a little further in my tour of the world than pennsylvania... i hope you're having a blast - come home and teach us a new language while we drink rudy's beer!! keep the posts coming :)
-Karyn B.
Post a Comment